posted on: Sep 18, 2012
Wes Swarthout, our Community Pastor, took us through the three ‘Why’s’ of Community Group at Team NCC. I found them to be extremely helpful and wanted to share my notes with you all. After all, NCC is a church living a gospel-centered life together in communities!
1. Why join a Community Group?
- This is a prime opportunity to connect to Jesus, and to connect others to Jesus. (Be a disciple of Jesus, who makes disciples of Jesus)
- This is a great environment to grow together. (Grow in faith, knowledge, understanding and our experience of God)
- This is the engine room for building community. Community is not built by sitting next to someone for an hour and a half on Sundays. (This is where the one anothering takes place; see Hebrews 10:24-25)
- This is where we engage in mission. We can do more together than we can apart. Together we bless our city, neighbors and friends.
- This is fertile soil for training more leaders, co-leaders and apprentices.
2. Why do we use Chronological Bible Storying and dialogue?
“What if I’ve heard and know all these stories?”
- We are now looking at these stories through the lens of making disciples. Are you satisfied with how many disciples you have made? This is an excellent, proven tool for disciple making.
- Stories are easy to remember. We all can learn through story. Many of us grew up learning and telling stories and we now continue to teach, learn and share through stories. It’s a natural part of life.
- We follow the Jesus model. (He told stories and engaged crowds in dialogue, for the purpose of hearing their hearts and moving them toward discipleship.)
- A story with dialogue makes for a great relational environment.
- This is not regurgitated theology. We don’t use a few verses to prove a point. We allow the story to show us who God is, what God does, who we are, and what we are supposed to be doing.
- Through dialogue, we share life, the good, the bad, and the ugly.
3. Why be faithful to your Groups?
- Leaders and others are counting on you! You are a crucial part of your group. This is not a place to be an observer. This is where you begin to play in the game. They are counting on you!
- We are all made to be a part of something larger than ourselves. Ultimately that is Jesus and His Kingdom. This reality begins to take place in our CG’s.
- New people are counting on you to be there and to make a difference in their lives. It’s time for you to start making disciples, who make disciples.
Share with others!